Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

21 November 2004

A Guy's Tradition and The Great Nacho Debate

Back in the fall of 1997, I became reaquainted with wrestling. As a kid, I loved it. I watched it every Saturday morning. I went to the live events when they rolled into Crapchester. Some of my favorite toys as a kid were the original WWF action figures with the WWF Wrestling Ring. At 28 I'd still play with them now if I still had them. I was a wrestling junkie. I knew it was fake, but I also knew it was entertaining. At some point though, my interest waned. I went years without being a regular to the T.V. Shows or even the live events. I might have watched a few minutes here and there but that was it. Jumping back to 1997, I was stationed in Savannah Georgia in the Air Force. Due to the available space I had in my apartment, I was letting another Airman stay with me. We played Tennis regularly, and after one session we stopped by the weather station we worked at on base. SSgt. Frank was working, and it happened to be a Monday Night. WWF's Monday Night Raw was on the T.V. when we got there. Me and Bobby hung around for a few and me and SSgt. Frank ended up talking about wrestling. Frank was into wrestling and as we talked, he started mentioning all these current wrestlers and then he started mentioning who they used to be...you know, previous gimmicks or characters and such. As I learned that my favorite wrestlers back in the day were still alive and active with different gimmicks and such, my interest in wrestling was peaked once again. Now at this point you are probably asking yourself "what does all this have to do with "Nachos?"" Well as I started watching WWF and shortly there after WCW every Monday Night, a Cialini tradition was born...eating Nachos while watching wrestling every Monday Night. Its been ongoing for 7 plus years now, and has survived a year in Korea, a wacko ex-wife, and now my tradition is being besieged again. From what you ask? From the most powerful, most destructive force known to man...a woman. Apparently my version of "Nachos" doesn't fit my girlfriends description of what Nachos are. Over the course of time, my version of Nachos have undergone several different make overs. It started out with me heating up a jar of Salsa de Con Queso and dipping chips in it. Then I started to get creative. Add a little spice here and there, started adding Jalepeno Juice for hottness and flavor, eventually I started adding in ground turkey and more spices...a work in progress. An artist cannot be rushed when creating his masterpiece. I tried various kinds of Con Queso and chips as well before settling into a solid routine after YEARS of experimentation. The regimentation on my Nacho Night had finally been completed. Now enter the new girlfriend, a woman who I love more than anything. She likes WWE Raw as well, so I inculde her into my Nacho Night Tradition. Sounds like I'm being a hell of a guy right? Well I was. Think it went smoothly? Well it didn't. First off, Nacho Night started too "late". Seems someone couldn't hold out till 9pm when wrestling started. I mean the tradition is eating Nachos when wrestling is actually on T.V., not 2 hours before. Now, the first time I bring the Nachos out...I get a raft of shit. Apparently my concoction did not constitute actual "Nachos" even though they were enjoyed outright. The next week, she comes over with a couple bags full of groceries to take over my nachos/make her own style nachos. Apparently Nachos are supposed to be "layered", or spread out with the cheese dumped on top of them. I guess having a dish of cheese and such in a bowl for dipping isn't considered nachos. I have to disagree though. I mean its cheese, and chips. Meat and jalepenos are involved. Spice, flavor, hottness, its all there. Just because its not spread out on a plate doesn't mean its not nachos. I stand by my tradition, and I will continue to ensure its survival as is. Fellas, stand fast on your own traditions. The Great Nacho Debate isn't much of a debate at all......even if she tries to tell me otherwise! ; )

1 Comments:

  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger 'Don' Cialini said…

    Hmmm (evil laughter), Bee, I find your style strangely familar. Where did you learn it? And don't lie, I know you got your styler from me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home