Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

21 December 2005

"Can't Buy Me Love"

Anyone remember the song "Can't But Me Love" from The Beatles? I do, but apparently jewelry companies don't. With the over commercialization of Christmas and the mindsets of people trying to out do the next guy or their efforts from the previous year, most of us tend to fall for the trap and get caught up in the spirit…of spending. One of the biggest ploys that pisses me off to no end though, has to be the jewelry stores. A couple times a year they put on big campaigns for your business. Valentines Day and Christmas. All their advertisements would lead you to believe that as a man you must buy your woman/significant other jewelry for them to love you. For you to make their holiday, you must present them with a 30 diamond encrusted bracelet. Maybe a pair of earrings that cost as much as a mid-sized car. Of all the ads that are floating around out there, there is one that is a million times worse than all the rest…combined. It’s the one for Kay Jewelers. According to them, "Every kiss begins with Kay". Well no shit. Every time I hear that slogan it makes me want to go on a goddamn killing spree. I mean for me to get a kiss out of my woman, I gotta start dropping C-Notes at Kay Jewelers? What if I'm looking for a little something extra in my "stocking" Kay? Do I need to take a 3rd and 4th job so I can buy something there that’s going to get the job done? And don't get me wrong, I have no problem buying jewelry for the woman I love, but if I have to buy jewelry to make her smile, make her love me, make her want to give me a kiss or more, to make her Christmas/Birthday/Valentines Day then I'm showing that woman the front door. Every time I see a slogan like "Every kiss begins with Kay", I make sure I will never EVER patronize that establishment. Every kiss begins with the thought of whatever gift is given.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    To quote the Family Guy: "Diamonds: She'll pretty much have to."

     
  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger 'Don' Cialini said…

    Maybe I need to rethink this then.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I must say, I was expecting something mushy due to the recent engagement, but this was a pleasant surprise, my boy. Nicely done.

    Now get out there and start slappin' down mad coin on some bling, kid. (By that I mean a four-finger ring that says "Jerome." For yourself.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home