Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

14 September 2006

Farewell Refreshing AM Radio in Rochester

For my regular readers…if I have any, a few posts back I blogged about "Refreshing AM Radio in Rochester". And yes, since Brad Davies left for browner pastures in Houston the 9am to 12pm local sports show time slot has been filled for the most part with excellent fill in hosts. Among these are Davies show producer Dan Berello, Carl Faulk, and another guy who works the Sunday Morning Bullpen on Sundays with Berello but I forget his name. For the purposes of continuity he will be "That Guy". There were other hosts as well. Some guy from Syracuse filled in a few times. Some old guy they called "coach" filled in. I think this guy was the "coach" when the 4 Horsemen were still riding, but thankfully he wasn't around but a couple days.

I listened to each main fill in host and they all did a really good job. I saw it as auditions because they went all out trying to secure guests, have good discussions, show they could excel as a host. Faulk, Berello, and That Guy all did well and I would have been fine with either of them landing the gig.

Dan Berello: Also known as Dan Digler (and no, I never heard why and if its because he has a huge crank…I'm better off not knowing) may have done the best job in my opinion. Fresh sports talk. The regular callers all are familiar with him. The show ran smooth as was actually entertaining. Unlike when that asscan Brad Davies was in. I don't have a clue as to what sports teams Dan prefers and that’s a good thing. After Davies constant schilling for the Giants, Rangers, Knicks, and Braves (wtf?), its nice to hear middle of the road sports talk. As a bonus, Dan is up to speed on Mulberry St. and some Mafia knowledge. Dan would get a vote from the Don.

Carl Faulk: When Davies was around, I loved with Carl guest hosted. Carl is a Mets Fan and we all know it. It was nice to get some Mets talk that didn't include how their pitching staff was broken or how David Wright "sucks". Despite clearing having a favorite team that we all knew about, Carl was very fair about the material he talked about. The show was not dominated by Mets talk or how the Mets are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Even with Mets commentary he kept the show moving. Something Braves "Fan" Davies could never do. He had a good energy and made the show fun. A complete 180 from when that Utica reject Davies was on the air.

That Guy - Its killing me that I cannot recall his name. This guy was another voice of reason in the Brad Davies era. A diehard Yankee Fan, he always stepped up to Davies when he would start bashing the Mets especially David Wright. Hey, its still NY Baseball. I like that. Like the other 3, he had a good energy and made the show fun. I would not have shed any tears if the Yankee Fan who owns a David Wright Jersey got the job.

If you're still reading and you know me, you're probably using your astute judgment to assume that none of the above landed the job. And you would be right. A week and a half ago or so I heard a commercial on WHTK with John DiTullio. What in the blue fuck is this? I know he is a "sports guy" around town and did the sports on 96.5's Brother Wease Show (and don't even get me started on that) but to get his own show? I never heard him once carry 3 hours. At this point, the only think I know about Johnny-D is that because he French's Wease's balls is probably the only reason he got the job. Listening to this guy talk is painful. He sounds like a Wease wannabe with that raspy voice but worse. Have you ever bumped into that 83 year old woman who is a 57 year veteran of smoking? You know that voice right? That’s DiTullio. Its like O.J. Simpson carved up his throat then some back woods doctor used constantina wire to stitch him back together. Its just brutal. Plus he is a Yankee Fan. What Western NY Dago isn't right? Well, except for me anyway.

I tried to keep positive about this though. By last weekend I had forgotten all about this. Monday morning though, reality came crushing in on me like one of the Fat Boys rolling off a couch. I had my radio on at work as I always do listening to Mike and Mike. At 9am the station drops the Mike and Mike feed to start their own local show. I wasn't paying attention to the time when my radio went to shit. All I heard was brutal static. AM radio isn't exactly FM Stereo quality sound to begin with, so this wasn't new to me. Plus working in a RF Communications Company I catch interference all the time over the AM bands. It was different this time though. I moved my radio around. I repositioned the antenna. I moved away anything that might cause interference. I drop kicked my radio and gave it a flying plancha for good measure and nothing. Just a sound of static and scratching in an epic battle for superiority. My ears were going nuts. Nothing was making it go away…fuck - Its John Ditullio. The Brother Wease Graveytrain rider has arrived.

Once I pulled out the exacto knives that I slammed into my ears and took a couple valium's I calmed down and tried to listen to the show. It fucking sucks. The only thing good is he keeps a leash on the callers. This is important when that walking Italian stereotype from E.R. Dom calls. Somebody sanction a hit on that guy already. Seriously Dom. Calling the Buffalo Bills "Flubbalo" is NOT clever. Its actually pretty lame. Take your weak smack to your Cleveland Browns circle jerk and leave it there, but I digress. In a stunning display of creativeness, Johnny-Boy has come up with his "Douche Bag of the Week". Brilliant. Way to jack Mike and Mike's "Just Shut-up" award and turn it into complete crap. You know who should win the Douche Bag of the year award? John DiTullio of course. I mean hell, it sounds like he has a couple dried up (used of course) douche bags lodged in his throat.

After the Brad Davies era, how can they user in a new era with this guy? In John's promo's for the show, he says "I've been living in Rochester for NINE years now, and I have always wanted my own show". Really? I've living in Rochester for 23 of my 30 years and I'd love to have my own show yet the monkey isn't dropping me a line! Maybe I could stat my "Dillweed of the week" award to have that catchy gimmick the public will just sink their teeth into. Perhaps I could give Wease oral a couple times a day and form my own "throat condition" to sound like I had a tracheotomy performed by Michael J. Fox. The easiest thing to do would be to just wait it out. Too bad the regular callers are all kissing his ass to get more air time and I just don't see another city beating a path to Johnny's door trying to steal him away anytime soon.

Things come and go and apparently it just wasn't refreshing am radio's time here in Crapchester. In the meantime I will be trying to figure out how to get reception for my Sirius radio here at work. I'm 150 plus feet from the nearest window. Hopefully I will be bestowed with a flash of brilliance and come up with an easy solution. God help me if I have to resort to FM radio for 3 hours a day again. Thanks for nothing 1280 WHTK.

War permanent laryngitis for John Ditullio.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger 'Don' Cialini said…

    *UPDATE*

    Since I don't feel like editing the original piece, the guy I referred to as "That Guy" is "The Turk" Ben Turchen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home