Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

29 January 2006

The Super Bowl - Don't Believe The Hype

In exactly one week, the Super Bowl will take place. In one week, the most over hyped, move over exaggerated event this side of the World Cup will occur. Now I know what you’re saying. “Can dude possibly hate the Super Bowl? Football?” I mean Football is woven into the fabric of American life right? Don’t get things twisted. I like the Super Bowl, and I even like Football. I love America and pretty much anything Americana – Baseball, football, Apple Pie, watered down light beer, an intense hatred of Soccer etc. It’s just that when it comes to the Super Bowl, I can’t get into the hype. Lets break it down. The actual game itself is watched in something like 500 countries world wide and like 20 billion (give or take a million or two) watch the game on T.V. I’m not sure why this one game gets so much attention as opposed to any of the other NFL games throughout the year. Let’s face it. 9 times out of 10, the Super Bowl itself sucks. One team blows out another. Your team isn’t playing. The goddamned game doesn’t start until past 6:30pm. Something. More times that not, the Bud Bowl, of now the Lingerie Bowl are more entertaining than the game on the field.

Super Bowl Week – The week leading up to the actual game. Every sports radio show is based in the city holding the event. Out favorite sports shows are full of nothing but NFL interviews. Old time NFLer’s trying to stay close to the game, talking about their “glory” days. Please fellas, save it for Bruce Springsteen. Countless NFL Players are going from radio show to radio show pimping some product or service so that they can pad their already fat pockets with a few more dollars. There always seems to be a controversy with the city the game is in and why it shouldn’t be there. Last year it was Jacksonville. Not enough hotel rooms and such. This year its Detroit. I mean Detroit is putting its best foot forward. And being the first cold weather city in some time to get to hold the Super Bowl isn’t an easy task. They have the week planned with plenty of fun activities for all the fans flocking to the city. They have the Eminem tour down 8 Mile. Exciting events like looting, rioting, car jacking, killing spree’s, robbing and pillaging, mugging and several other interactive activities. I bet Lions Fan is excited though. This is their first chance to have an exciting and competitive game played in their fairly new stadium.

Actual football events aren’t all that’s involved in the over hyping of the game. 500 million dollars for a 30 second commercial spot. Half the viewers of the big game watch the game only for the commercials. Looking to see who rolled out a new and funny commercial, or who pissed 75% of their ad dollars away on some stupid ass commercial (as is usually the case). The half time show – this year it’s the geriatric rocker show. Their going to roll out the Rolling Stone’s in the middle of their “Weekend at Bernie’s” World Tour. Hey legendary band, but I’m not watching because I want to see a wardrobe malfunction with Mick or Keith’s zipper on their pants! Besides, haven’t we all heard every song they have sung about 6 million times? I think they should have rolled out the contestants from Dancing With The Stars for a quick 1 minute dance for the entertainment. I mean Jerry Rice is already there right? And what could be more entertaining that watching Master P in his B-Ball shoes stumbling across a stage in the middle of Ford Field. Seriously, maybe he could get voted off if a few more people saw him make a complete ass of himself.

My main man Chuck D said “Don’t believe the hype” and I fully agree with my man. He also said he would never go solo then released a solo album but that’s besides the point. Sure I might be a HUGE baseball guy over anything else. I might prefer college ball to the NFL. My favorite NFL team might be the Buffalo Bills (and since they cannot hire a coach correctly it would stand to reason my frustrations with football), but that doesn’t mean I hate the Big Game. Its just that the Big Game is over hyped and by the time it rolls around, not only am I sick of all the hype, the game usually doesn’t even come close to the hype anyway. So in 2006, for the Super Bowl, don’t believe the hype!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Micehelly said…

    I think the only reason I watch the Super Bowl is actually because of the hype though - We usually go to a Super Bowl party, so it is the only full game I watch all year because every other game I am usually doing housework or putzing on the computer. I agree that it is nuts that one not-so-great game gets all of the love, I can't think of another sport that is the same way.

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sometimes I just want to punch you.

    You watch wrestling for Pete's sake! Talk about hype! Come on!!!!!

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger 'Don' Cialini said…

    What does wrestling have to do with how bad the Super Bowl usually sucks? I mean sure there is hype in wrestling (and unlike the Super Bore errrr Bowl it usually delivers) oh and I like wrestling for what it is...entertainment. I have yet to be as entertained by a Super Bowl as I have been by a Wrestlemania.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    The Super Bowl would be better if there were football fans in the stadium. Instead, all the tickets are bought up by corporations who dole them out as business tools.

    If I want to see a bunch of empty suits and corporate shills, I'll go hang out a the Simon Business School. It's closer than Detroit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home