Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

31 October 2006

The Don's First Beer Review - Alaskan Summer Ale



Recently my lovely wife returned home from a trip up north to visit family in Anchorage Alaska. When she returned, she brought back a few bottles of local beer from the Alaskan Brewing Co. Deciding to jump on the beer commenting bandwagon, I have decided to review each of the 3 different types of beer she brought back. I have already had one, but that was a year ago, so I will give it another shot. Either way, last night we tried one of the bottles she brought back. Heeeeeerrrrrrreeeeeee we go.

  • Alaskan Summer Ale
  • According to the "Flavor Profile" of this Summer Ale on the Alaskan Brewing Co. Website, the beer tastes as follows.

    Alaskan Summer Ale balances a softly malted palate with the clean freshness of Hallertauer hops. In the tradition of the style, neither overpowers the other. Both hops and malt come together to refresh and renew the palate. The straw-gold color and easy drinkability are an enjoyable way to celebrate summer.

    Fuckin' really? Whatever the flavor profile is supposed to tell me, my American watered down light beer drinking ass enjoyed this brew. Upon receiving my glass from my wife (and telling her next time I wanted service with a smile), I quickly noticed there was no over powering odor. My beer did not smell like a pack of Juicy Fruit, so it had scored already with me. I also noticed its golden color. Clearly I would not need a knife and fork to enjoy my glass of beer. And while I don't have the first goddamned clue as to what hops taste like, or malt tastes like, they were apparently mixed correctly for me in this beer. I despise bitterness in my beer, and while this example had a slight hint of bitterness to it, it wasn't over powering. I think the flavor profile tries to say that in beer dork terms, but I cannot tell. Almost as important, there was not a nasty bitter aftertaste. It was a delightful glass of beer, and I actually wished she was able to bring more home with her. If you're ever in our Northern most state, be sure to check out the Summer Ale. If you are up there in the winter, I guess you will be S.O.L. and you deserve to be if you go to Alaska during the winter.

    Coming up, I will review Alaskan Amber. I've actually had this before, but will drink it again before I review it. Also, there is some dark porter or some shit Brenna brought home. I'm sure I will rip that to shreds.

    2 Comments:

    • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Mark said…

      Malt makes it taste sweet. Hops make it taste bitter.

       
    • At 6:00 PM, Blogger 'Don' Cialini said…

      And speaking of beer dork, here he is. Dude, this blog is sucker free. Take your beer snob knowledge back to beercraft!

      You're due for a new blog anyway.

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home